François Crochet Sancerre Rosé Review

by

When you hear the region of Sancerre mentioned with relation to a bottle of wine the first thing that may come to your mind is a white wine full of mineral and chalk notes, grassiness and subdued tropical fruits all wrapped up in a ton of tongue wrecking acidity.

That’s why the image with this review may have caused you a moment of confusion since we’re tasting a rosé wine today. The Sancerre region, while predominately Sauvignon Blanc country (80% of production) also allows the Pinot Noir grape to be planted which accounts for the other 20%.

This particular François Crochet Sancerre comes from the village of Bué, located about 2.5 miles from Sancerre itself. The grapes are hand harvested and selected while the wine is fermented in stainless steel temperature controlled tanks.

François Crochet Sancerre Rosé – Bue

Color: Light salmon in color moving to nearly clear on the rim.

Nose: There are notes of strawberries and lemons initially with a distinct minerality coming through as well. These aromas are underscored by chalk and an earthiness that reminds me of the fall a little bit, think wet or decomposing leaves.

Flavor: The palate shows similar components as the nose. Initially there are firm, not quite ripe strawberries with plenty of tart lemons to bring in the pucker factor of acidity. The mineral notes are present and continue to add to overall experience of this wine. The tart flavors of the François Crochet Sancerre Rosé create a long lasting finish that keeps you wanting more.

Bottom Line: Finding the François Crochet Sancerre rosé may be difficult, but if you spot it, buy it. This long lasting, refreshing rose, that’s driven by acidity and minerality is one you shouldn’t pass up.

We were unable to find any social media connections for the François Crochet domaine.