Smell My Cork: WLD Podcast 005
We Like Drinking Podcast
Episode 5 Show Notes
At the sound of the tone, the official We Like Drinking time will be 5 o’clock….beeep…commence consumption.
Thank you for joining us for the WLD podcast 005. In this episode we’ll be discussing Oregon AVA’s, wine growlers, Firkin Rendezvous and Russian Imperial Stout. So crack open your beer, uncork that wine and let’s get drinking.
WLD Podcast 005
Panel Introductions – Where we get to know our cast of characters a little better and find out what they’re drinking for the show. (10 minutes)
- A co-founder of welikedrinking.com and a Certified Beer Server with a taste for ice wines, ice beers and ice cream, Jim Myers. Jim is drinking 5 Rabbits 5 Vultures
- Founder of the award nominated stayradwineblog.com who once traded toys for wine, Jeff Solomon. Jeff is drinking the First Sample of NV Washington Merlot from Chateau Currier.
- He’s a New Mexico home brewer and winemaker who thinks the song “puttin on the ritz” is about canned cheese and crackers., John Ruyak. John is drinking New Belgium Portage Porter
- I’m the other Jeff on the show, co-founder of we like drinking and a certified specialist of wine who once was kicked out of a fine dining establishment for asking to sniff the waiter’s cork. Jeff is drinking
Booze News – Where we discuss interesting, note-worthy, or idiotic stories. (12 minutes)
- John – The Bud swipe at craft beer won’t go away. Congress reintroduced the Brew Act; reducing federal excise tax on production of less than 60000 bbls $3.50 vs $7
- Jim – U.S. whiskey sales continue to rise. They topped $1 billion in exports for the second straight year. http://nypost.com/2015/02/03/gold-n-brown-bourbon-and-whiskey-sales-hit-2-7b-in-us/
- Jeff E. – Drinkorexics, ugh – http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2015/02/calorie-info-sees-rise-in-drinkorexics/
- Jeff S – New AVA in Oregon as part of a larger primarily-Washington AVA. It’s gonna get cray! http:/, blog.wblakegray.com/2015/02/news-ttb-to-approve-ava-that-will.html
Free Form Topic Discussion (12 minutes)
- Jim – Do you have any Mardi Gras traditions? It’s coming up next week.
- Jeff E – Wine growlers…wait..what? Would you partake in this if it was available? http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/2867823-151/wine-growlers-still-a-go#
- John – Colorado has 120 breweries in development; how much can the market handle?
- Jeff S – Wine Needs a Pliney the Younger http://blog.wblakegray.com/2015/02/wine-needs-pliny-younger.html\
Upcoming Events – We find the best drinking events around so you don’t have too (6 minutes) We will only use 2 items.
- Jeff E. – Kinky with a glass of Sexy – http://www.localwineevents.com/events/detail/574172/kinky-with-a-glass-of-sexy
- John – Strong Ale Beer fest in Wichita KS 2/21. 100+ beers over8% https://www.facebook.com/strongalefest
- Jeff S. –
Jim – The American Homebrewers Association Homebrewers Conference is accepting applications Feb. 18-24. We will feature a Q&A with the AHA next week.
Whom to follow – Who’s caught our attention and should be catching yours. (5 minutes)
- Jeff S. – W. Blake Gray is a fantastic wine writer. Follow him on Twitter @wblakegray
- Jim – Focus on the Beer is a local site putting out some good content. @focusonthebeer
- Jeff E. – @LeftHandBrewing Active tweeter with a lot of great visual content.
- John – Matt Lalo for politics and craft beer @MattLaslo
The Crystal Ball – The segment where we selfishly promote what we’re working on (7 minutes)
- John. – The RIS is in the secondary. Building a prechiller
- Jeff E. – Sign up for email list to get behind the scenes / unpublished content.
- Jim. – The American Homebrewers Association Homebrewers Conference is accepting applications Feb. 18-24. We will feature a Q&A with the AHA next week.
- Jeff S – Review of the Tryphon Vineyards 2009 Sierra Foothills Sangiovese. This vineyard is planted at 3200 feet, overlooking Tahoe National Forrest, will be the first American producer of Assyrrtiko within the next few years. ALSO… I am giving away a $50 Gift Card to Underground Cellar right now on Stay Rad Wine Blog . Com (Contest runs through Valentine’s Day)
Last call – Time to clean house and lock the doors (6 minutes)
As we close the show I’d like to thank everyone out there that’s listening to this episode, we really appreciate you taking the time to join us each week and hope you’re enjoying listening to us as much as we’re enjoying recording for you. Make sure you subscribe to the podcast to make sure you never miss an episode. To subscribe just search for We Like Drinking on iTunes or your favorite podcast catcher app. Now, to encourage you to click that subscription button it’s time for Wait, who subscribed? where I take a quote from a famous person fictional or nonfictional and twist it around to relate to our podcast somehow.
Jeff – quote
Guys – guesses
Moving on, If you’d like to connect with us outside of the podcast we’re also on your favorite social media networks like facebook, google +, pinterest and instagram as welikedrinking, and on twitter @welikedrinking1.
Where can our listeners find you online:
Jeff S – Follow me on Twitter @JeffIsRad. Watch my Stay Rad Wine Blog TV videos on YouTube and StayRadWineBlog.com
Jim – When I’m not representing We Like Drinking, you can find me at Untappd as JimWeLikeDrinking. I’m on Twitter at JimMyersCO. I still haven’t started a Vivino account, but I’m thinking about it.
John- Untappd as Brewhack
Jeff E – You can find me on Vivino and Untappd, both at jeffeckles
And finally you can find the show notes for this episode with all the links to the stories or mentions we had in this at http://welikedrinking.com/podcast
Speaking of show notes we want to hear from you, and we will make it easy on you. Go to our podcast page at http://welikedrinking.com/podcast/episode005 and answer us this. Wine or Beer? Or you can just hashtag us at #WLD with your answer.
OK panel, let’s take one last trip around the table and get some final thoughts before we shut off the lights.
Jim Jeff E
Thanks again for joining us at the We Like Drinking Podcast, where it’s always 5 o’clock.