Listerine for Dogs: WLD Podcast 013
WLD Podcast 013
Thank you for joining us for the We Like Drinking podcast episode 13. In this episode we’ll be discussing microbes, wine tasting strips, drinking gadgets and Georgia law! So crack open your beer, uncork that wine and let’s get drinking.
Panel Introductions (15 minutes)
- A member of the American Homebrewers Association and a Certified Beer Server who used to have a job in Hollywood punching up scripts, but quit after he went 0 for 3 in Rock’em Sock’em Robots, Jim Myers. Jim is drinking a wine
- Founder of the award nominated stayradwineblog.com, whose new book, “Garlic Wine, It’s a Hundred Point Thing.” is set to be released on April 18 to coincide with National Garlic Day, Jeff Solomon. Jeff is drinking Ziobaffa 2013 Pinot Grigio and Ziobaffa 2012 Toscana. Check out a full video review of both these wines on Stay Rad Wine Blog dot Com after you’re done listening to our fine podcast here. http://stayradwineblog.com/2015/04/08/stay-rad-wine-blog-tv-episode-160-zio-for-me-yo/
- He’s a New Mexico home brewer by way of Colorado who’s got more hops than the Easter Bunny, John Ruyak. John is drinking Alaskan Freeride APA
- I’m the other Jeff on the show, a certified specialist of wine and I’ve decided that from now on I will only assess arsenic-full wines… tonight I’m drinking
- Our guest this week is also a CSW, a French Wine Scholar, as well as a diploma candidate and certified educator with the prestigious London-based Wine & Spirits Education Trust…Valerie Caruso. Her formal training started nearly 6 years ago when she retired after 25 years in the military, packed two suitcases and moved to Italy for a year to pursue enology and advanced wine studies. It was there she learned to “live the wine” and she continues to do so today. She’s an interminable “cork dork” and advocate of wine with lunch. Val is drinking a Picpoul de Pinet by Paul Mas
Hey Jim, what time is it? 5:00. Perfect, the top of the hour means it’s time for…
Booze News – Where we discuss interesting, note-worthy, or idiotic stories. (15 minutes) We will only use 2-3 items. We’re the greenest podcast out there. Watch us recycle unused stories.
- Jeff E. – Microbes found in the soil near grapevines found throughout said vine. Could this be the key to unlocking “terroir”? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150324101443.htm
- John- 72oz samples? (Some follow up to a previous story we talked about) https://www.brewbound.com/news/georgia-beer-jobs-bill-on-governors-desk
- Jeff S – Screw Tops beat Cork in a maturation test… http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2015/03/screwcap-triumphs-in-maturation-test/
- Jim – Are Ontarians ready to embrace legislation that would be positive for craft brewers? Brewers are allowed one location to sell, but they want to be able to open a second location to sell their beers as well as other craft beers. It’s an interesting concept in a province (and country) that tightly controls distribution. http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/24/craft-brewers-want-to-sell-beer-in-more-locations
Hey Jeff Solomon, what time do you have? 5:00. Finally! Now we climb up on our soap boxes with our…
Free Form Topic Discussion: an open discussion on topical subject matters. (10 minutes)
- Jeff S – Beringer’s new try-before-you-buy non-alcoholic taste strips are coming to stores soon. Thoughts? http://www.winebusiness.com/blog/?go=getBlogEntry&dataId=148884 (Jim says, “Thanks but no thanks.”)
- Jim – Drinking Gadgets – In general, are they worth it?
- Jim – Confusion over what “Beer Day” represents. It marks a minor law, but we have to have pancake day, etc. Why not? http://nationaldaycalendar.com/2015/04/06/april-7-2015-national-beer-day-national-no-housework-day-national-coffee-cake-day-saam-day-of-action The 21st Amendment was passed on Dec. 5, 1933, by the way.
- What makes a good beer or wine bar? At what number are the offerings too much?
- John – My aquisition phase comment, continued…https://www.brewbound.com/news/newly-formed-craft-consortium-enjoy-beer-llc-eyes-acquisitions-ipo
- Val –
Upcoming Events – We find the best drinking events around so you don’t have to (6 minutes We will only use 2 items.
- Jeff E. – April 17 is World Malbec Day (Jim says YAY!)
- Val – -This Saturday is the Serious Palate tasting club at Soiree Events & Celebrations: we’re touring Spain in 6 glasses http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/956593
- John – April 18-25 Milwaukee Beer Week http://www.milwaukeebeerweek.com/ prices are event specific
- Jeff S. –
- Jim – Colorado Springs will have a Team Cocktail Competition on April 19. The cost is $30; $15 for nondrinkers. Gonna try to get a story on this. http://www.ticketfly.com/event/785951
WLD Follow of the Week – Who’s caught our attention and should be catching yours. (Only 1)(5 minutes)
- Jeff S. –
- Jim – Dunedin Brewery. I have placed my fat butt on a bar stool there many times. http://www.dunedinbrewery.com/
- Jeff E. – @BeerInColorado
- John –
- Val –
The Crystal Ball – The segment where we selfishly promote what we’re working on (7 minutes)
- John. – look for a review on Brewing USA board game
- Jeff E. – With World Malbec Day coming up next week I’ll be releasing a review of one next week.
- Jim – Upcoming is a place review from my time in Albuquerque last week. Stay tuned. Also, that story on overcarbonation and undercarbonation will be on the site sometime. Stay tuned.
- Jeff S -.Ziobaffa on Stay Rad right now. My Santa Clara Valley Passport Weekend post will be coming soon, and I will be exploring the wines of Lodi over the next few days… so keep an eye out for that… I’ll be sifting through the crap, so you don’t have to.
- Val –
John…If a train leaves Chicago at 8 am heading west at 100 mph, what time will it arrive in Denver? 5:00 uh oh, you know what that means?
Last call – Time to clean house and lock the doors (6 minutes)
First, I want to personally thank everyone that listens to this show. Every download of the podcast helps us out, so we truly appreciate your time. With that being said, we need your help. We have some amazing plans for We Like Drinking and most of it centers around our listeners. But we can’t get our plans started until we reach certain milestones. Those milestones all center around downloads and reach. If you’re listening and you want to help us with our goals, please take a few minutes to subscribe to the show via whatever podcast player you have, then head over to your iTunes account and leave us a review and rating It will really help us out by getting our show in front of more drinking buddies.
With that, it’s time for Wait, who subscribed? where John takes a quote from a famous person fictional or nonfictional and twist it around to relate to our podcast somehow. John, the vaudeville stage is yours…
John – quote
Guys – guesses
Moving on, If you’d like to connect with us outside of the podcast we’re also on your favorite social media networks like facebook, google +, pinterest and instagram as welikedrinking, and on twitter @welikedrinking1. If you’d like to get a hold of us you can also email us about anything you want at [email protected]. If you email us for any reason whatsoever we will make sure you get a mention on the show and possible some free swag.
But this show is not just about WLD, we have an awesome panel as well that you should connect with. So guys, where can our listeners find you online:
- Jeff S – Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @JeffisRad. Watch my Stay Rad Wine Blog TV videos on YouTube and StayRadWineBlog.com
- Jim – When I’m not representing We Like Drinking, you can find me at Untappd as JimMyers. I’m on Twitter at JimMyersCO. Also on Vivino as Jim Myers
- John- Untappd as Brewhack
- Jeff E – You can find me on Vivino and Untappd, both at jeffeckles
- Val – can be found on twitter @WineGalUnboxed, on the Vino With Val facebook page.
You can also find the show notes for this episode with all the links to the stories or mentions we had at http://welikedrinking.com/podcast While you’re there please leave a comment or tweet us at #WLD and answer our question of the show which is…. Show length. Currently we try to keep the show close to an hour long, but to do that we are finding ourselves cutting about half the things we wanted to talk about. So the question is, do you like the show at an hour in time, would you like to see is shorter, longer, or does the length of the show not matter to you as long as it’s entertaining and educational.
OK panel, let’s take one last trip around the table and get some final thoughts before we shut off the lights.
- Jeff S
- Jeff E
Thanks again for joining us at the We Like Drinking Podcast….where you’ll never drink alone.