Blind Tasting Fail: WLD Podcast 003
We Like Drinking Podcast
Episode 3 Show Notes
Thank you for joining us for the WLD podcast 003. In this episode we’ll be discussing North Carolina wine, proper beer tasting, losing weight with beer and drinking trivia. So crack open your beer, uncork that wine and let’s get drinking.
At the sound of the tone, it will officially be 5 o’clock at We Like Drinking….beeep Commence consumption
WLD Podcast 003
Panel Introductions – Where we get to know our cast of characters a little better and find out what they’re drinking for the show. (10 minutes)
- A co-founder of welikedrinking.com, Cicerone Program Certified Beer Server and the man who once got in a fight with a mirror because he didn’t like the way the other guy was looking at him, Jim Myers. Jim is drinking Moa Methode Pilsner from New Zealand http://www.moabeer.com/beer-and-cider/#moa-methode-pilsner
- Founder of the stayradwineblog.com and current first time wine maker who always sports a 5 o’clock shadow by 10am, Jeff Solomon. Jeff is drinking In honor of the French Laundry recovering most of it’s stolen wine in North Carolina, I am drinking (and this is a Podcast Exclusive, ladies and gentlemen) the 2011 Biltmore Reserve North Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon.
- He’s a New Mexico home brewer and wine-maker, and the man who once captured Snake Pliskin then let him go after realising he wasn’t actually a snake, John Ruyak. John is drinking Vagina Pines Pinot Noir
- I’m the other Jeff on the show, co-founder of we like drinking, a certified specialist of wine with a background in Japanese shoe websites. Jeff is drinking 2010 Lake County Winery Dry Creek Zinfandel
Booze News – Where we discuss interesting, note-worthy, or idiotic stories. (12 minutes) We will only use 2-3 items.
- John – Bernalillo wine fest being replaced with Beer fest for Labor Day weekend, 25 breweries from NM and 12 more from CO,UT, AZ http://www.abqjournal.com/532151/news/bernalillo-brew-fest-to-replace-wine-festival.html
- Jim – How critical is your palate? Rocky Mountain Brewing News featured an article in its last edition giving a basic guide on how to properly taste beer. I liked it for its simple approach instead of the overly complex approaches we sometimes use http://rmbnonline.brewingnews.com/publication/?i=238567
- Jeff E – Barolo producers moving back to origins. http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2015/01/nebbiolos-tannins-no-longer-the-enemy/
- Jeff S – Sonoma County announced the official wine producer for 2016 Super Bowl http://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com/104086/sonoma-county-to-be-official-2016-super-bowl-wine/
- Pairing Wine and Junk Food – NPR (Requested by Dr. Dan) http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/01/09/376187289/sugar-salt-and-subtle-tannins-pairing-wine-and-junk-food?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=food&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews
Free Form Topic Discussion (12 minutes)
- Jim – Blind tastings. Jeff E. and I had an informal blind tasting over the weekend. They’re a good thing to keep your wits sharp.
- Alternate: Pairing the Super Bowl with beer, like we did last year. http://welikedrinking.com/education/super-bowl-drink-pairings/
- Jeff E – I feel nothing but shame from the above topic and have nothing to talk about.
- John – drinking beer and losing weight with Dr. Ornish
- Jeff S – American Wine Consumer Coalition graded each state for consumer access to wine. (2013) Highlights: California A+, Colorado F (No wine in grocery stores. Can’t bring own wine to restaurants. Can’t order wine from out of state retailers.), New Mexico (Can’t bring wine to restaurants.), and Florida B- (Can’t order wine for out of state retailers)
Upcoming Events – We find the best drinking events around so you don’t have too (6 minutes) We will only use 2 items.
- Jeff E. – COS Winefest, tickets selling out – Feb 19-21 http://www.coloradospringsconservatory.org/winefestival/
- John – Feb 12-21 is AZ beer week http://www.azbeerweek.com
- Jeff S. – Wine Road (Sonoma County) Barrel Tasting Weekends March 6-8 and 13 – 15, $40 per weekend https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=89ajb5f4d89qt#9049650352
- Jim – Bristol Firkin Rendezvous coming up Feb. 21. $60 VIP; $35 general admission http://www.bristolbrewing.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=139
Who (or Whom) to follow – Who’s caught our attention and should be catching yours. (5 minutes)
- Jeff S. – Terroirist.com for daily news feeds on all things wine.
- Jim – Beer in Colorado. @beerincolorado. Search for it on FB under Beer in Colorado. http://www.beerincolorado.blogspot.com/
- John. –
- Jeff E – On Instagram, get your beer porn on with proper_pour http://instagram.com/proper_pour/
The Crystal Ball – The segment where we selfishly promote what we’re working on (6 minutes)
- Jeff E. – Weekly wine and beer trivia, you should be doing this every week.
- Jim. – Working hard on beer reviews. Check out our first nut brown coming soon, and that Guinness 1759 Ale is slated for the first week of February
- Jeff S – “Why learning to appreciate wine is almost as important as vaccinating your children.”
- John –
Last call – Time to clean house and lock the doors (6 minutes)
I want to thank our panel for joining us for episode 3. I’d also like to thank everyone out there that’s listening to the show right now, we really appreciate you taking the time to join us for our drinking games. We also hope that you’ll subscribe to our podcast so that you don’t miss an episode. To encourage you to subscribe it’s time for Wait, who subscribed? The part of the show where I butcher a quote from a famous person, real or fictional, and make their quote relate to We Like Drinking. You guys ready?
To subscribe to our podcast you can search for WeLikeDrinking on iTunes or your favorite podcatcher app, or visit http://welikedrinking.com to find the rss feed.
If you’d like to connect with us outside of the podcast we’re also on social media networks like facebook, google +, pinterest and instagram as welikedrinking, and on twitter @welikedrinking1.
But we’re not the Borg! We’re also out there in the digital world as individuals too, so let’s see where you can find each of us.
Jeff S. where can the good people find you on social media?
- The good people can follow me, Jeff Solomon, on the Delectable App where I am a verified wine pro.
- For y’all bad people, I’m on Twitter @JeffIsRad
- And everybody can watch my Stay Rad Wine Blog TV videos on You Tube and StayRadWineBlog.com
Jim. Beside WLD where else can folks find you out there? They can follow my sporadic Tweets at @JimMyersCO, or my more frequent check-ins on Untappd at JimWeLikeDrinking. Also, look for me propping up local tap rooms.
John. Same question
You can find me, Colorado Jeff on Vivino and Untappd at jeffeckles
And finally you can also find the show notes for this episode with all the links to the stories, drinks and mentions we had in this episode at http://welikedrinking.com/podcast
Good night everyone and remember, You’ll never drink alone at We Like Drinking